NOTE: grounding is not exclusive to Witchcraft. It is also a very common and very effective theraputic technique for anxiety, trauma, anger management, and plenty more. This page is strictly discussing the role of Grounding in Witchcraft and is not meant to be a substitute for mental health advice.
Grounding is meant to bring both your mind and body to the present moment in an effort to enhance your focus on your Spellwork. Clearing your mind of distracting thoughts and allowing yourself to be fully mentally present can help in mild ways, like making sure you don't fumble your words, or extreme ways, like making sure you don't knock over a lit candle.
There is no set way to Ground in Witchcraft. It's a more personal process that you figure out through trial and error. Here are some techniques that myself and others use in no particular order.
General rule of thumb: don't stop because you feel like you should, only stop when it feels right. It can take 5 mintues, or 5 hours. Listening to your body and trusting it to tell you when to stop is essential to effective Grounding. This is why it takes trial and error.
- Meditation - my personal method. I engage in moving meditation, which in my case is yoga. Feeling my muscles move and stretching out any stiffness helps me feel connected to my body and my environment. I usually do 10 minutes before Spellwork and try to do poses that allow me to engage both my legs and my arms, like downward dog, variations of lunge, and standing twists. I visualize any staleness or negative energy steeping out of my hands and feet with every exhale, and visualize letting in white, pure light filling my lungs and muscles with every inhale. However, typical sitting meditation or even breathing excercises are just as effective. Try different methods!
- Going for a Walk - never underestimate the power of taking a walk. It's ideal if you can walk in a park or other natural area, but walking in the city can also work. Try to not get carried away (I know I do, which is why I don't use this method very often) and keep it to as short amount of time as feels right for you. Visualize the fresh air drawing out negativity and replacing it with white light wherever feels right to you on your body, typically your chest or feet as you walk.
- Taking a Bath - this one is fun because the possibilities of modifying this to your liking are endless. When I use this method, I like to visualize the warmth from the water replacing every cell in my body until the water feels cold; this is my indicator that I'm finished Grounding with this method. You can add anything you like to your bath, I like adding lavender-scented epsom salts. A very popular method is making a bath sachet containing herbs that correspond with your intent. Get creative!
- Using Crystals - I'm personally not really into using crystals outside of Spellwork, but some people swear by the cleansing power of clear quartz. I've mainly seen people spend time sitting with their crystals until they feel ready to work. Some people hold them while they meditate, some people like to create a crystal ring and sit in the middle - do what feels right to you.
- Visualization -
- Affirmations or Mantras -
- Holding Something Cold or Warm -
- Listening to Music -